Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Aerosol Etching primer

I am getting ready to spray an undercoating (u-pol raptor) on my new floor and trunk pans, do you see any problems with me using a Aerosol can of etching primer on the entire surface before I spray the undercoating. The reason I ask is because I have heard that you should not use the aerosol can on anything bigger than a Silver Dollar. I don't have a spray gun, so this seems like the only choice. Please let me know your feedback or personal experiences.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Of course, a spray guy would be better, but if it's you're only option, I would say it's better than nothing.
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391864

Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19253
Old 02-12-2008, 07:56 PM

SEM etch primer in spray cans, very good product may run you 11 to 13 bucks a can. Good stuff!

Rich
Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 PM

I bought the U-pol etching primer, Is it ok to go straight to the undercoating from the etching or does it need a coat of epoxy primer.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM

At $12 a can, go buy a $50 spray gun, it will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 PM

the talk in the trade is that the etch needs to have a undercoat before top coat .....this is for a barrier for the acid in the etch. my thoughts are that the etch never sleeps and what would you do if you lost adhesion later????how would you fix this..........I would put a undercoat over it ! as for the spray can etch I have used it for years with no problems
Old 02-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Yes, I know most of the reputable paint companies really want a 2k primer or wet on wet 2k sealer over this type of etch after some flash time and they also like a certain amount of mil. over etch prime. I personally would recommend getting a cheap hvlp gun and put some black epoxy down first.Then you get two for one this way you get a great corrosion base and a excellent base for the bed liner. I'm going to be trying some of that raptor bed liner on a car at the shop in the near future.Good luck and me know if I can help. Joe
Old 02-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67velle
the talk in the trade is that the etch needs to have a undercoat before top coat .....this is for a barrier for the acid in the etch. my thoughts are that the etch never sleeps and what would you do if you lost adhesion later????how would you fix this..........I would put a undercoat over it ! as for the spray can etch I have used it for years with no problems
U-pol says that you spray their etching primer and then go straight to the raptor liner, with no mid coat. Here is the instructions for U-Pols etching primer, which is what I am spraying.

http://www.u-pol.com/countries/pl/do.../tds/acid8.pdf