Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Default TKO Swap on a budget

I realize Budget and TKO conversion don't belong in the same sentence, but what is the cheapest and effective way of approaching an auto to TKO swap for my 71' Nova. Is a kit form the most cost effective way to go about this or does some research and careful planning and part selection allow it to be done for less?

The car will have a 400-425 horse small block and Ideally I would like to run the tko600 as it would be the perfect pairing for my 3.55 geared rearend. At the end of the day tho the initial purchase price for eveything is a bit hard to swallow. Any advice? What route did you guys go for your conversions? Just trying to figure out where I can cut costs and what I can't afford to skimp on for the complete swap. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 AM

Depending how many of the factory stick shift parts you have available it may be cheaper to just buy the transmission. It all depends on how much you value your time.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong because I don't have first-hand experience with this model year, but here goes.

If you buy a GM spec TKO you should be able to use a factory GM bellhousing and all of the associated pedal setup and linkage, flywheel, clutch (26 spline usually) - basically just as if you were bolting in a 4-speed. The items that I know of that will change are the driveshaft length and the transmission mount point (either modifications to the stock crossmember or a new one). I believe the year Nova in question would have a center shifter location so you shouldn't need any special shifter (to locate it in the factory location, if you cared to) - the one that comes with the tranny should work. I'm not sure whether or not you will need to modify the trans tunnel. Obviously if your car is an automatic you are going to have to cut a hole for the shifter, but you may also have to trim the tunnel back and widen it out as the TKO is quite a bit wider up high than a 4-speed.

I hope this makes some sense.

Later
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I got a complet kit from Classic Chevy 5 Speed for about $3500. Also, talk to Frank at http://www.gpsuperstore.com/ he's a dealer for Tremec also. His prices are always really good.

Pro Touring 68 Acadian(Nova)
Speedtech subframe with high clearance control arms
Prodigy Bar rear suspension
Ridetech single adjustable coilovers
Wilwood 12.2" brakes
New Gen Splitters
LS3 and TKO600

Link to my build: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=14349

Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM

I got my kit from CC5S as well. But you can save some $$ buying just the tranny and modifying the crossmember and having your driveshaft resized to accomodate the TKO.
Personally, I would rather not hassle with fabrication and just bolt everything up at once with a kit and be done with it.
Either way you're gonna love the 5 speed. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 PM

Appreciate the input fellas, any idea on where the cheapest place to pick up a TKO600 would be?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrDun71 View Post
Appreciate the input fellas, any idea on where the cheapest place to pick up a TKO600 would be?
<-------- has hand in air.

I will be hapy to help you find used stuff, or at least tell you what to look for.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 PM

NvrDun71,

I just finished a T-56 swap on my 77 Nova. Not exactly the same car, but there are some things that I learned that may help you. I did not go with a full-blown vendor's kit, just read up on it, talked with my Tremec dealer, and went for it. Here are some things I ran into:

1. Pedals - mechanical or hydraulic throwout (I think mech. is cheaper, but hydraulic is easier to operate). Mostly a personally choice I think. Aftermarket folks (Classic Industries, Paddock, NPD, etc.) should be able to hook you up if you want mechanical.

2. X-member - I reused the X-member from my TH350. Saved some money there but it will take some fab work.

3. Clutch - gotta have it. I have a similar engine setup (425 hp small block) and went with a Centerforce unit. Set me back $270. You can go cheaper if you shop around. Remember those 26 splines.

4. Driveshaft - gotta shorten it. Local shop put new u-joints in mine, shortened and balanced for $115.

5. Electrical - don't forget those backup lamps. Sounds like a no-brainer, but there will be some $ involved in plugs and harness work.

6. Pilot Bearing. You may not need anything special on your TKO. I used an extended one on my T-56 (from McLeod) and it set me back $40.

7. Trans tunnel - not a cost thing but it is an issue on these Novas. I had to cut a pretty significant amount out of mine to clear. Your TKO may not be quite as bad, but get your torch/cutoff wheel warmed up - you're going to need it.

8. Speedometer - talk to your dealer about this. I was able to go with a full mechanical set-up on mine (using the same stock cable even) and that saved me some cash too.

9. Transmission - no way to get around this one. New Tremecs have a great reputation, but they also carry some cost with them. There are some minor differences from dealer to dealer, but you should really shop for customer service, because these are the folks that should have your back if something goes wrong with the tranny. If you have a local Tremec dealer, you might save some $150 on shipping/crating.

This forum will give you a good idea of who is good to work with from a customer service standpoint. I personally dealt with Forte Parts Connection on mine (and am well satisfied) but I know other vendors are out there who also do a great job on the customer service side of things. It's a sizeable investment in your car, so use someone you are comfortable with. If they are jerks on the phone initially, they probably will be jerks to deal with if you have a problem.

Good luck. It's quite a bit of work and research to do these on a budget but well worth the effort.

Jason
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2008, 10:21 PM

I have a 69 Camaro, and a 96 T56. I haven't installed it yet, because I heard that you have to use a different flywheel and clutch. I've also seen a company called "Wier Products", that sells a bellhousing, and claims you can use a stock 11" flywheel and clucth set up, has anyone heard or seen this set up?