Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-26-2021, 07:54 PM

Default Speedtech pro touring spindle suggestion

Hi all,
What is the recommendation for spindles on a 1st gen Camaro with a Speedtech pro touring subframe (track time package)? The relocated steering arms on the AFX spindle doesn't appear it will fit my wheels (tie rod end seems like it will just hit the inside edge of the step on my smooth lip 18x9 6in BS wheel).

Stock replacement seems safe but interested in a drop spindle if others have had success. Thinking that may improve the ride a bit by maximizing shock travel vs running the coilovers down. Some 2” drop spindle manufacturers like Right Stuff say wheels as small as 15in work. However, Ive read old posts saying drop spindles have issues. Not sure if changes were made and thats true today. If people are happy with the OE spindles and I’m overthinking it - let me know.

Its primarily a street car. I plan to run Pro+ Baer brakes up front. Havent purchased those yet but have the wheels (Prism from Billet Specialties).

Thanks
Old 08-26-2021, 11:12 PM

Name:  10888.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  79.3 KB

We made a custom rod end to clear my front wheels, not sure if that's what you're after.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:42 AM

Ridetech has been using drop spindles for many years with good success.

Don
Old 08-27-2021, 03:59 PM

I run the speedtech pro-touring subframe and faced all the issues you're mentioning. I wanted to use 5th gen Camaro Brembos rather than Corvette style brakes so I opted to use ridetech drop spindles over the AFX spindles.
I still ran into the same steering arm issue you mentioned, and overcame it by using shorter A-body steering arms.
It all works together, but take that very lightly, because for me, it has only worked rolling in my driveway, as my car isn't finished yet so I haven't driven it. How much the geometry is affected is still a little unknown.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:53 AM

Thanks all. Ill call Ridetech and/or Speedtech on Monday to see if they have some feedback on potential fitment. From some older posts it seems some spindle swap testing between the companies had been planned in the past. I’m really doubting the shorter arm provided by ST for the PT subframe will offset a 2in pin drop. Even the stock spindle and arm looks like an issue with 6” BS and the 16” ID step on the hoop for my 18” wheel.

Does anyone know if the taller upper balljoint mount on the Ridetech spindle drives unique arms compared to stock height? If not, I could wait until the subframe arrives to make a decision.

If anyone is around the SE MI area with AFX or ridetech spindles for a 1st gen with a ST pro touring subframe - and would let me throw my wheel on it to check fitment - I would owe you one.

Added pics of wheels for reference (first image is inside of front wheel)
Attached Images

Last edited by Cwyat; 08-28-2021 at 06:19 PM.