Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
The next several weeks will show you why you want to own stuff that PAYS you to own it!

Remember too - all you newbs out there.... that when we say Sell in May and go away... this is a historically week period (summer)... and that actually works in your favor if you're re-investing your dividend or plan to put more money to work. If you re-invest - you'll buy more shares - which pays off later - and if you've got new money - you can put it to work with cheaper prices.

Personally I've always come into this period with a nice cash position waiting to add to my portfolio - and it's almost always worked out beautifully.

The other things you'll see is that people tend to sell their WINNERS -- so stocks that have had a great run (profit) get sold the deepest because it's so easy just to skim some off the top. People tend NOT to sell the losers... they hold them. So you'll see the biggest haircuts in the biggest winners.

Pay no attention to that noise out there... it's trader talk. You guys are INVESTORS!
Awesome news, as I'm researching as we speak getting ready to buy, buy, buy.
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The next several weeks will show you why you want to own stuff that PAYS you to own it!

Remember too - all you newbs out there.... that when we say Sell in May and go away... this is a historically week period (summer)... and that actually works in your favor if you're re-investing your dividend or plan to put more money to work. If you re-invest - you'll buy more shares - which pays off later - and if you've got new money - you can put it to work with cheaper prices.

Personally I've always come into this period with a nice cash position waiting to add to my portfolio - and it's almost always worked out beautifully.

The other things you'll see is that people tend to sell their WINNERS -- so stocks that have had a great run (profit) get sold the deepest because it's so easy just to skim some off the top. People tend NOT to sell the losers... they hold them. So you'll see the biggest haircuts in the biggest winners.

Pay no attention to that noise out there... it's trader talk. You guys are INVESTORS!
Amen Mr.Weld..

Cash/Dry powder is king right now..

I expected this to happen and no worries here.. I plan to put more cash to work..

There are Traders....And there are Investors.. I too, am an Investor..In for the long term..

The slight change in my Balance means nothing ...Seems like every time the crowd panics, I am adding positions...

I think I am physically getting better..I have to much invested to leave now...

Soon to be crazy
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,565 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketlist2012 View Post
I think I am physically getting better..I have to much invested to leave now...
that's great news Mike.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
I have to much invested to leave now...

Now we're talking!!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:

I think I am physically getting better..
Thats the most important thing right there.... good news bud.

One the Investing side, next week i'll reach my next purchase point.. sounds like good timing to make that next batch go to work for me.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanks guys..

Investing takes a back seat when your health is on the line, but the really COOL thing is I have everything in place, so it is on Auto pilot..

Schwab investments, cash on hand, Trust set up for the wife...So when I get bad, no money worries..

And I am not going out on my back...I will die with my boots on...And yes I have some family that want to get their hands on my money, but unless they are a No kill animal shelter, they may be disappointed..

I told them how to invest, they never listened..Hell they travel more than me, and drive nicer cars...But do they have money ? Heck no...Hocked up to their Eyeballs...And then they complain..

Not the way to roll...Even when I am real sick, I hoard Money/Investments...

Because, what if I make it to 80 plus ? I want to still be comfortable...

Soon to be crazy
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Funny Mike!

All of my closest friends have 2nd and or 3rd homes! I have ONE! My net worth is at least 3 times what theirs are (we've all compared) and we have the least expenses. Our income is kinda "fixed" (I fix it) -- and our outflow is totally discretionary... their income is fixed (they all still MUST work) and their outflows are mandatory!

Our way is a lot more fun!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Funny Mike!

All of my closest friends have 2nd and or 3rd homes! I have ONE! My net worth is at least 3 times what theirs are (we've all compared) and we have the least expenses. Our income is kinda "fixed" (I fix it) -- and our outflow is totally discretionary... their income is fixed (they all still MUST work) and their outflows are mandatory!

Our way is a lot more fun!
Yes Sir...I am a small fish in a big pond, or a Big fish in a small pond...Not a high Roller at all, but I am amazed that i know some people that have 4 times the stuff I have...Total assets...But the column i really watch is the NET worth..

What I own.. If I have to hock myself up to my eyeballs to keep up with the Jones, or the Weld's, haha, I just won't do it..

The cool thing is my wife is on the same page...She has become pretty darn smart money wise...If not, we would have a problem.

So , yes, OUR way is much better, because if the economy turns south, It is not MY economy..

I am my own Mini country...I am CEO of Mikey's world..And that is all that counts..

Sure I want more stuff, who doesn't ? But I ain't gonna do it the wrong way..

Then all my talk of investing would be a lie, and peace of mind would go out the window..

Guys like you just inspire me to get to the next level and not just sit back...I got toys on my wish list...

Soon to be crazy
Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 AM

I've been following thing thread fairly closely, first time poster. First off let me say thank you for all the great information and perspective thus far!

My first question is: what proportion of your assets would you recommend investing vs. locking away in savings account? I'm 25 years old, been investing for ~4 years with mixed success, have ~80k in the bank and 55k in the market. Have a work related 401k but haven't really been paying attention to that besides picking the "extremely aggressive" setting 3 years ago.

About 30k of the market money is tied up in some long term DOWN money (namely CitiBank). I have 22ish in cash left in my Etrade after pulling 50k out of the market and putting 25k back in savings.

Currently living in London, most recently from San Diego and would like to return there within 365 days and purchase a house (will eventually need a downpayment).

Need to re-assess what to do with my DOWN Citi, as well as find some better long term plays to put my money into. I like the feeling of having a year of net salary in the bank - but is that the wisest thing to be doing with that chunk of change? I realistically won't be losing my job anytime soon (effectively on contract through October) and have 3+ months of vacation that they'll have to pay me out. What would you guys recommend? I've been reading a lot in here about this dividend investing scheme and I'm quite interested. Seems like a good long term play for me to get into.

Second question: What to do with a 4 year+ 90% loser? I put $700 or so into some oil speculation penny stock and it's currently worth about $40 and hasn't moved in a year. Should I just pay the $9 trade fee and pull clean out that terribly depressing line in my account?

Thanks. Look forward to participating more. Keep this thread alive!

1972 Corvette Coupe - https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=36573
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM

STD dividend reinvested yesterday at a nice low price of $6.1099. Looks like today it's going to open around $6.3x.... gotta love it!

1968 Pontiac Firebird
1989 Ford Mustang